We had a weekend up at Gillette’s Castle where we saw secret passageways, old playbills & letters, beautiful interiors, and a phenomenal view. Dave decided it was the perfect spot in case of a zombie apocalypse and I decided it would be an inspiring place to write. One room had a bed seat next to a large, open window with a view of the river. It was perfect. William Gillette, the castle’s creator, was an actor that hosted theater performances and parties. I can only imagine how much fun it was!
Afterwards we found a local pub to eat for lunch. It had the best spinach artichoke dip I’ve ever had, the puffiest homemade tortilla chips, the crispiest french fries, and the most delicious buffalo chicken pizza. Maddox, of course, had a giant boob full of milk and enjoyed every last drop. On the way back, we stopped for a dip at the pool. Then we BBQ’d and went swimming again on Sunday with a friend.
All in all we soaked up the summer days, relaxed, and enjoyed every second of it together.
1. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Calming Lotion – I use this on Maddox after every bath and end up curled up with him after, just inhaling his scent. It’s a perfect combination of lavender and vanilla and it leaves him soft without drying him out. Paired with the regular Baby Bee Shampoo & Wash, you’ll be a little jealous of how good they smell.
2. Lavender Essential Oil 1 & 2 – Using essential oils on a new baby can be a little tricky. Some oils are not safe for little ones and you need to make sure they’re properly diluted. Lavender is not only safe, it’s soothing. Perfect for those nights baby is fussy and overtired. I mix 1-2 drops of lavender with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil (any carrier oil will do, but coconut smells amazing) and I give him a little foot massage. I also dab just a little onto his third eye. You can also add a drop or two into baby’s bath.
3. Record Player – I’ve always had a record player in the house. It wasn’t getting much use but I’ve moved it right next to the pack n play. The placement is perfect so whenever I set him down or go for a diaper change, I have easy access to switch it on. He loves listening to music and it helps stimulate him when I need to run off and use the bathroom.
4. Summer Infant Soothe and Vibe Portable Soother – My sister showed me this product and for 15 dollars, you can’t go wrong. She uses it on her son’s carseat and when she came to visit, let me use it for Maddox. Not only does it play 5 different sounds (heart beat, white noise, lullaby, etc), it vibrates whatever carrier your baby is in to promote relaxation. It’s a fabulous product especially for babies that hate car seats and you can use it on cribs, bassinets, etc.
5. Aden & Anais Swaddles – Maddox still loves being swaddled. Although he’s been earthside for 6 weeks, he loves feeling secure. He’s moving more now with his arms and legs constantly flailing so swaddling helps control those movements, allowing for him to calm down. The Aden & Anais swaddling blankets are gentle and soft, ideal to aid baby to sleep.